Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Awkward Questions

Visiting with relatives almost inevitably results in being asked lots of questions, many of which are potentially awkward. You're sitting and eating your half burned hamburger and trying to defend yourself from mosquitos when someone drops the conversational bombshell. Some of these questions I've been asked so many times, I've got a solid canned response for them. Now that Mr. ME and I are hitched, we've suddenly opened the gateway to a whole world of new questions...

"How does it feel to be married?" ... Let's see, we've lived together since before we were engaged and we've been engaged for over half of our relationship. I'm going with... almost exactly the same?

"When are you going to have kids?" When we decide to. Why is this one of the first questions every single heterosexual married couples gets asked? What if we don't want them?

"Are you merging your bank accounts?" Unless you are my banker, or someone I get financial advice from, I find this rather rude.

Then, of course, there's the standard awkward questions grad students get like "When are you going to graduate?" and "What exactly do you do?", or my personal favorite, "But what's your real job?". Because apparently being a barista at Starbucks would be a more real job than research.

What are your favorite (or least favorite) awkward questions? Have any good responses?

No comments:

Post a Comment