Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Writing Recommendation Letters

This week, for the first time, I'm writing recommendation letters instead of requesting them. The first is to support the nomination of my undergrad research advisor for a society teaching award, which was honestly a slightly tricky letter to write. His one-on-one mentoring is fantastic, but I was the only one who could understand most of his lectures. However, I'm more of a morning person than the average college student, so having a 9:30am lecture after an 8am one didn't bother me the way it did most of my cohort.

The second letter was in support of promoting an assistant professor to tenure. While I only took one course with him, I still seek him out for discussions, and the only reason he isn't on my committee was due to schedule conflicts for prelims. Needless to say, it was a pretty easy letter to write.

I also got to learn how to get access to departmental letterhead, which was kind of cool.

Between sending out letters and getting new code things to work, I think today counts as productive, and it isn't even 5 yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment